Our surf instructors in Hendaye
Our surf teachers in the Basque Country
Passionate about the profession, our surf instructors give lessons to young and old from beginners to advanced. Their pedagogy will allow you to learn gently in private or group lessons at the Lehena Surf School.
Your most beautiful waves will be immortalized thanks to our photography service in Hendaye to leave you with an unforgettable memory.
- Date of birth: March 17, 1983
- Diplomas: State Surfing Certificate, BTS (Nature Management and Protection) and Specialized Educator.
- Stance : Goofy
- Favourite manoeuvre(s) : Roller, Tube and Reverse backside
- Inspiration(s): Mark Occhilupo, Shane Dorian, Rob Machado
- Favourite wave(s): Alcyons (Basque Country), Uluwatu (Indonesia), Lennox Head (Australia), Supertubos (Portugal) and of course Bidart!!
- Surf trips: Australia, Indonesia, Canary Islands, Portugal, Spain, Ireland and Philippines.
- Where and when did you start surfing? It was in Hendaye, during the winter of 93, with the Bidarteko Surf Club. Talcum powder and plastic bag to put on the wetsuit… What happiness!
- Best session : Difficult there were many but the best is surely here at home with the buddies ! Bidart early one autumn morning with long lefts.
- Biggest scare: South Australia in solid conditions, I broke my leash and ate a few waves before managing to get out of the water.
- Best trip: Australia, as my first trip with many unforgettable experiences and encounters. It was also during this trip that I decided to become a surf instructor.
- Biggest trip mess: The arrival of typhoon Haiyan during my trip to the Philippines. Not much in the end on our island but a good scare!
- Why come to surf in Lehena : Because it’s the best surf school ☺ !
- Date of birth: July 21, 1987.
- Diplomas : Brevet d’État Surf and Rugby Licence STAPS (Education/Motricity and APA Health).
- Stance : Goofy
- Favourite manoeuvre(s): Snap, Floater and Tube.
- Inspiration(s): Owen Wright, Fred Patacchia and Rob Machado.
- Favourite wave(s): Chicama (Peru), Santana (Nicaragua), Lakey Pipe (Indonesia) and Hendaye Beach!
- Surf Trips: Indonesia, Nicaragua, Mexico, Peru, Canary Islands, Morocco and the Caribbean.
- Where and when did you start surfing : The summer I was 7 years old in this same surf school with the former owner Jean-Lou Le Guine. I quickly joined the Hendaye Bidassoa Surf Club before becoming an instructor and then co-manager of the Lehena Surf School with Julien.
- Best session: After 10 days of “flop” in Puerto Escondido in Mexico, we had tried the gamble of “Chacahua” a long right on the edge of a nature reserve.
The day we arrived there was not even 50cm. The next day the waves had tripled in size, we surfed this endless straight with less than 10 people.
We finally stayed 5 days to score and “saved” our trip!
- Biggest scare: It was at Lafitenia, during solid winter conditions, I must have been 12 or 13 and there were only 3 of us in the water. There must have been 2m50 and I came out in tears!
- Best trip: My first trip to Indonesia in 2007 where we scored all the best waves. Uluwatu, Padang Padang, Bingin on Bali but also Lakey Peak and Lakey Pipe in Sumbawa. 1 month and a half of surfing, surfing and surfing again.
- Biggest trip hassle: Leaving for Nicaragua, I got stuck at Madrid airport for a passport problem. Not having the authorization to transit through the United States I had to change my tickets, go through Costa Rica and especially wait 3 days in the Spanish capital!
- Why come to surf at Lehena? : Because the quality of our teaching is our trademark!”
Surf instructors on the Basque coast
- Date of birth: May 27, 1985.
- Diplomas : Brevet d’Etat de Surf and Brevet Professionnel des Travaux Paysagés.
- Stance : Goofy
- Favourite manoeuvre(s) : Roundhouse Cutback
- Favourite inspiration(s): Mick Fanning
- Favorite wave(s): Mundaka (Basque Country), Lakey Peak (Indonesia) and Raglan (New Zealand).
- Surf Trips: Australia, New Zealand, Indonesia, Peru, Morocco, Canaries, Portugal and Central America.
- Where and when did you start surfing? : It was in Hendaye, during the winter of 93, with the Bidarteko Surf Club. I still remember when I was hanging on the wall and my parents were helping me to take off my wetsuit.
- Best session: Probably on the Chicama spot, during my trip to Peru with Battitt. Considered as the longest wave in the world (4,2 km), for the first time in my life I finished my session with more pain in my legs than in my arms!
- Biggest scare: In Guatemala while surfing in a military zone, we had been pulled out of the water with rifle shots fired in the air…
- Best trip : Hard to say but I would say my first trip to Australia. For the quality and variety of its waves as well as its breathtaking landscapes.
It’s not insignificant that I went back 3 more times!
- Biggest problem on the trip: My van broke down in the middle of New Zealand. We waited 3 days for the mechanic to fix it before we could get back on the road.
- Why come to surf in Lehena : To find that family feel to surfing.
- Date of birth: 27 July 1991.
- Diplomas : BPJEPS Nautical Activities (Surfing Option)
- Stance : Goofy
- Favorite maneuver(s) : Reentry and Nose Riding.
- Inspiration(s): Taj Burrow & Melanie Bartels.
- Favorite wave(s): Stimpy’s (Philippines) and the waves of the Medoc.
- Surftrips: Morocco, Canary Islands, Azores, Portugal, Spain and Philippines.
- Where and when did you start surfing? : In Hendaye, I was 11 years old, with the Bidassoa Surf Club. It took me a year to convince my mother to stop ballet, and… it was a revelation!
- Best session : It was at Cloud 9 (Philippines) early in the morning the tubes were on the menu of the day in crystal clear water and the sun shining over the coconut trees : the dream !
- Best trip: Carcans, foam boarding, the waves were powerful that day. And the famous series that shifts! I struggle to finish stranded on the sand, out of breath.
Our surf lessons & equipment hire